nine - Ausstecherle




These are probably the first cookies I've ever baked and I don't think I'm the only one, am I?
This is the typical dough a mother rolls out for her children, the dough I can't wait to share with my daughter to bake cookies together and make a mess of the whole kitchen...
Don't get me wrong, you don't need children to bake them, maybe these cookies will bring out your inner child. However, baking and then decorating them is great fun.





The dough is a classic shortcrust pastry with the proportions 3-2-1 (three parts flour, 2 parts butter, 1 part sugar. I use a bit less sugar) plus one egg (when I make less dough, I only use a yolk). I use confectioner's sugar here as it makes for an extra-smooth dough.

As for the decorating part, there are no limits. For the photos we used candied ginger, chopped pistachios, rose pepper, sea salt, dried petals, and dark chocolate to hold it all together. To sandwich some of the cookies, we used cherry jam. You could make a sugar glaze, too, white or coloured, and draw with it on your cookies, or use different kinds of chocolate. Get creative!




Recipe (inspired by this one)

300 grams flour (see note)
200 grams butter, frozen
75 grams confectioner's sugar
1 egg
a pinch of salt

Grate the butter coarsely with a box grater. You could also just use cold butter and cut it into little cubes. Put the flour in a big bowl or on a clean surface and mix it with the sugar and the salt.
Rub the butter into it quickly with your fingertips (or short pulses if you use a kitchen processor).
Add the egg and mix and knead until you can shape a smooth ball with your dough. If it doesn't come together, add a bit of cold water.

Refrigerate the dough, wrapped in clingfilm, for at least an hour.

Preheat your oven to 180º C. Roll out your dough on a floured surface, about 4 mm thick. Cut out whatever shapes you want to. It's best to work with only half of the dough keeping the other half refrigerated.

Put the cookies on lined baking sheets and bake for around 12 minutes. They should be slightly golden on the edges. Leave them to cool to room temperature before decorating them if you like.

Note: I used all purpose flour this time but you could use white spelt or mix white and wholegrain flour.



0 comments: